Monday 17 December 2007

Back In The Day...




I recently bought Boys and Girls - A Ladybird book of childhood. It's a Christmas present for someone, but when I received it today in the post, I had trouble putting it down. I should wrap it up sharpish, otherwise before I know it, I'll have read it from cover to cover!




I was a bit of a bookworm (a.k.a. nerd) when I was a kid. When I was growing up, many of the books I read were Ladybird books, from the Peter and Jane series through to informational Learnabout books. Obviously I've moved onto more challenging titles since then -last week I managed to complete my first Janet & John book, ha-ha.




Ladybird Books was swallowed up by Penguin Group in 1999, but still publishes titles aimed at children. Not surprisingly there is a big collectors market for the original titles.




Boys and Girls A Ladybird book of childhood is absolutely dripping with nostalgia. Over the past ten or so years, there has been a massive interest in childhood & the old days, from the friendsreunited website through to the School Disco. One of last years most popular Christmas books was The Dangerous Book for Boys. Boys and Girls continues in the same vein. I'm sure that it will sell by the shed load, a great present for the children of the late 60's and early 70's. Kids today, busy with their PlayStations and Nintendo wii's....they don't know they've been born!

2 comments:

Simon said...

I dont like you using the term 'dripping'... it conjours up horrible thoughts in my head.

Anonymous said...

I never knew you were into Janet and John

Would you like to hear Shauna play at one of her concerts

She plays the French Horn and is rather good old boy!