Sunday 28 October 2007

Jelly Babies



This post was originally going to be about a court case this week, whereby a guy punched a 96 year old war veteran on a bus (causing the pensioner to lose sight in one eye), and only received a suspended sentence for his troubles.


But then I had a look at my previous few posts and thought "hmmm it's getting a bit too Daily Mail on here at the moment". So I thought long and hard about writing something a bit more positive.


And there I was in Sainsbury's doing my shopping, and BANG, it hit me. On a gondola end, on offer at 50% off; Bassetts Jelly Babies. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

My immediate thought was to remain calm and rational. After all, I had broken the golden rule of food shopping, by going into the store already hungry. I also considered the dietary & financial implications. But then I thought "F*** it, let's live for today" and cleared the store of it's entire Jelly Babies stock.



Put simply, Jelly Babies are food utopia to me. The King of Sweets. The Daddy of Confectionery. Here are some facts for your curiosity....

  • Jelly Babies were launched 75 years ago by Bassetts, to celebrate the end of World War One. They were originally known as Peace Babies
  • Production was put on hold during World War Two due to a shortage of raw materials, but made a comeback in 1953 as Jelly Babies.
  • The most popular flavours are as follows: strawberry, lime, blackcurrant, lemon, raspberry & orange. Hard to believe, I know - orange wins hands down as far as I'm concerned!
  • 3 million Jelly babies are eaten every week in the UK.
  • My favourite incarnation of Doctor Who, Tom Baker, used to carry some around in that big coat of his.
  • Apparently they are not suitable for vegetarians. Harsh!

So there you have it. If it's high brow, intelligent debate you're after - this blog is most certainly the place to come!


2 comments:

Simon said...

I will expect a bag to accompany you next time we're meeting up so we can share the wealth...

Anonymous said...

I myself have never liked jelly babies, but I have recently been introduced to MAOAM sweets, and they are well nice....